Friday 15 November 2013

Asset modelling begins!

While I still have a little pre-production to do (namely reference footage), I have now begun to move into the production stage of my work. Exciting!

My environment is simple, being just a bedroom. While I want the assets in the environment also to be simple, so that I can put most of my time into the animation, I also want them to make a believable and clean background. My initial frame of reference for this was 'Violet Hill' - a student piece by Sam Haley:



Since blocky asset models like this don't take much time to create, I decided to put more detail in than this just to add some more texture to the scene.

These are the things I have made in Maya so far:






These models will not be textured, but they will be coloured and have appropriate Maya materials applied to make them look more like what they are meant to be.

Initially I thought my room layout didn't look too bad, but once I saw the more detailed models side-by-side with the original cuboids I realised just how much more they added.



It is much more obvious now what is what! I still have quite a few things to make, but seeing as the five things above probably took two or three hours between them I'm not worried about time. It will be worth it when I have a good-looking animation. :D


I am also currently putting together a progress presentation to give to my supervisor in a couple of weeks. Since the main aim is to show what research we've been doing, I should probably use this time to get as much of it done as possible!

Caitlin :)

No comments:

Post a Comment